Saturday, October 8, 2016

seaside

if i had a home to take you to
i would show you the lake where i learned how to swim
my father and i at the edge of the dock, my pink bathing suit
sagging at the crotch and threadbare

i would tell you how i shook, and cried, and  was so very scared
of the dark and glassy water
and how my father grew angry
i couldn't move, so he picked me up and jumped feet-first
into the icy cold where we bobbed like pale, bloated driftwood
and i screamed until he pulled me out

there would be the shore that we could walk along
not sandy, but pebbled and strewn with rotting kelp
we would stand and let the water roll up onto our feet
and through the fog we would pretend to see
any proof that i'm not still afraid

if i only had a home to take you to
you could know me better, and more completely
but i am more like a ghost than a girl
lacking history, defined edges, permanence

so when i lay on my back in the black of the water
you cannot tell me from the waves

No comments:

Post a Comment